Due to extreme temperatures, an Excavation Safety Alert has been issued for Thursday, July 18, 2019 through Saturday, July 20, 2019.
Contractors are strongly encouraged to implement the enhanced protective measures listed below for critical facilities, such as primary electric feeders, oil feeders, oil filled electric facilities, gas transmission mains, steam transmission mains, and telecommunications switching stations.
Enhanced Protective Actions:
– Cease all activity involving excavation within eight feet from the outside edge of the facility trench to the marked critical facilities.
– Excavation activity may resume around critical facilities only if the contractor digs by hand and uncovers the critical facility. Once the location and extent of the critical facility is visually confirmed, excavation may resume utilizing powered equipment to within four feet of the edge of the critical facility.
– Other restricted activities in the presence of critical facilities include, but are not limited to, backfilling and tamping and installing piping under critical facility crossings. When these activities are necessitated by schedule or work area restrictions/stipulations, the contractor may proceed with extreme caution.
– Utilize an excavator observer or pit man to assist the equipment operator when operating excavation equipment. General Protective Activities
– Call or Click Before You Dig: New York 811 Inc. (800-272-4480) or 811
– Wait the required time
– Confirm utility response
– Respect the markings
– Dig with Care: Take all reasonable steps necessary to avoid damage to and or otherwise interfere with underground facilities.