Southern California Gas Co. reported a deadly explosion Monday, July 15th at a residential home in Murrieta, Calif., killing a utility worker and injuring 15 others, including 3 responding firefighters.
The explosion was sparked by a gas rupture caused by a contractor digging at the home without first contacting 811 to have underground utility lines marked, as required by law.
The blast sent flames shooting over 30 feet into the air, and rocked the surrounding Riverside County neighborhood with such force that some residents initially mistook it for an earthquake.
This tragic event underscores the dangers of home improvement repairs and construction without following gas safety rules and practices.
FOR ALL EXCAVATIONS, BIG OR SMALL, CLICK OR CALL 811!
View video to news footage: